Jack and Jill Adopt

A Mommy Daddy Blog

May 10, 2007

School Stuff

I need to blog a little bit about stuff that happens at school. For those of you that don't know me IRL, I am a librarian at a small K-12 school.

1. Foul Language

Today I was told that I am "f*cking stupid." I guess it's not ok for the librarian to confiscate the date stamp that you have stolen. I guess kids should be allowed to stamp the table and other students "due May 18, 2007." Because if you tell them to stop and sent them back to their study hall, you're f*cking stupid. Too bad they never told me that in library school.

2. Gender Roles

I told a senior girl that over the weekend I mowed the lawn (ok, really only a section of the lawn, Jack wants me to be accurate) and my husband planted some flowers. "Isn't that role reversal?" She asked. Wow, I guess my school hasn't moved into the 21st century yet. Considering that we had a card catalog up until last year, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are old fashioned.

3. Gender Roles Part II

One of the 4th grade teachers was discussing her concerns about a male student of hers. Apparently he wears lip gloss and barrettes and he *gasp* volunteered to play the princess in their class play! She had to call his mother! Because he was acting like a girl! The horror! The other day this same student asked me if I was sick (because I had a cold and my voice was funny). I think I need to call his mom and tell her he is exhibiting suspiciously unmasculine compassion.

4. The stuff they tell me about their parents

2nd grader says, "My dad ate one of those big green moths and then he had to go to the hospital." When asked why he did this, the student responded, "he had been at the bar with his friends and they dared him to do it." I'm sure his dad wants me to know he's a lush!

From a 1st grader, "My dad's getting out of jail today!"

Kindergarten: "We don't have tv because my mom didn't pay the bill"

5. You mean you don't do it for free?

A conversation between me and a Kindergartener in the morning as I walk into the school building. Please note that this was in November and the child had seen me at work many times before.

Child, "What are you doing here?"

Me, "I work here."

Child, "You work here?"

Me, "That's right, that's why I'm here every day."

Child, incredulous, "Do you get paid to come here?"

2 Comments:

  • At 5/15/2007 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, I feel so bad for the boy in #3. I hope his parents are more understanding than that teacher.

     
  • At 11/11/2008 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is great info to know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home