Jack and Jill Adopt

A Mommy Daddy Blog

May 17, 2007

What NOT to do when you're adopting.

Warning: This is a whiney post.

1. Tell ANYONE. I get so many people asking every day when I'm going to get my baby. I have to explain all over again.

2. Buy ANY baby clothes. Jack and I bought a bunch of cute clothes that Kit has now probably grown out of. It's depressing to think about.

3. Go out on Mother's Day. Stewarts was giving out free ice cream cones to moms. I felt sad when I looked at the sign.

4. Say "the baby will be here by next Christmas/Easter/my birthday/this time next year." This will jinx you.

5. Obsessively read other people's blogs. There is always somebody who's going to get their baby before you even though they started the process about a year after you did.

Ok. Now that I've finished venting I can be rational again. Of course you have to tell people. You need the support and love of others to help you through the wait. You also want to boast about your wonderful child who's coming. I also think buying baby things really helps with the wait. It's fun and it makes everything feel more real. I do recommend saving receipts for things the baby will grow out of, just in case. As for the blogs, I just can't help myself. And it does give me a little bit of hope that PGN is moving and people are still getting out. It will be my turn one day.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/18/2007 7:45 PM, Blogger erinberry said…

    I agree! Especially with the one about not setting timelines in your mind in terms of holidays! Man, that one's come back to bite me in the ass many times now.

     
  • At 5/18/2007 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I 2nd that emotion! We have similar timelines. We were kicked out of PGN at the 12 week mark and now have been waiting for the 2nd time for 4 weeks in PGN. I just now, after getting that kick out call, have started letting myself look at blogs and adoption related things again. I don't do it often, though. At this point I don't feel like she'll ever come home. My husband and I have decided to make plans and enjoy every minute of "just the two of us" life because someday, hopefully, she will come home.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home